By Lori Kary
The world of fashion is not bound by age! It is all about style and personality; one size does not fit all!
Women in their 70’s, 80’s and 90’s are changing their wardrobes. They are becoming more stylish and are taking tips from fashion icons such as Iris Apfel, who says “I never want to be an old fuddy duddy; I hold the self-proclaimed record for being the worlds oldest living teenager and I intend to keep it that way.”
True Style Comes from Within
You can make a statement at any age! Style is personal, just don’t be afraid to wear what makes you feel good. Let’s be sure we’re all heard and seen for who we are, start with the loving act of wearing what pleases you. Things start to move and shift over the years, but some clever trickery in working with these changing elements can still have you being a fashionista!
“Fashion is not necessarily about labels. It’s not about brands. It’s about something else that comes from within you”. ― Ralph Lauren
Wardrobe Tips for Women Over 70
What to wear?
- Choose quality outfits over quantity
- Invest in a good pair of jeans! WHAT! JEANS?! Yes, BLUE JEANS! You can and should wear them in your 70’s, 80’s and 90’s! They now come in soft stretchy fabrics that are not binding or constricting. A little bling on them never hurts either!
- Embrace the eclectic! Your senior years are the perfect time to experiment with wide leg pants, long flowy tops, or big bold belts!
- Go for vintage and statement jewelry. The pieces that you had 20 years ago are probably very much in style! Keep it simple but smart!
When carefully chosen, the right clothes and accessories can accentuate your best features, minimize those areas you don’t want to draw attention to, and make you look and feel fabulous.
With summer just a few weeks away, try these fashion tips…
- Buy something bold and colorful to bring in the good vibes!
- Why not join Wear Red Canada campaign?! The goal is to increase awareness of women’s heart health across Canada by wearing red.
- Leopard print? Why not!! You may or may not have worn them at some point, but its never to late to give a little Tiger print a try!
- When you can’t decide what to wear, go for the classics!
- Shoes and bags can make a difference! You can spice up any outfit with a good pair of heels (just keep them low if you are unsteady on your feet) and a unique handbag or clutch! This is the time to let your personality shine! Kate Spade has many unique purses that are cool and funky!
Easy Style for Older Men
Fashion is not just for the gals; men have a fashion sense as well! For many men, their clothes are just an extension of their personality!
A senior man’s lifestyle may take him to a variety of places, such as the golf course, a special event at their retirement residence, or relaxed dinners with the family. Each of these scenarios demands something casual and comfortable, but jeans and t-shirts don’t always fit the bill.
There is something so classic about a monochromatic color scheme! An all-white outfit is the ultimate beach attire. It will make you feel lighter, fresher, and add a statement to your summer wardrobe.
Style Is A Reflection Of Your Attitude
Remember, your smile is the prettiest thing you’ll wear! When you wear an outfit that is comfortable and that flatters you, you will feel confident and with a smile you’ll surely look your best! Real style is never right or wrong. Its’s a matter of being yourself on purpose.
Staying Fashionable After Retirement
Senior and retirement living often means a change in fashion needs. As a woman continues to age, several factors may affect her fashion decisions or cause revisions in her wardrobe. With some careful planning, seniors can continue to enjoy life to the fullest no matter what their age, circumstance, or environment.
At All Seniors Care we know that no matter what your taste in fashion, looking your best comes from having a healthy lifestyle. After all, a healthy diet, exercise, and a good night sleep may be the closest things to the fountain of youth.
Whether you are a senior living in London, ON or a caregiver looking for senior apartments in Winnipeg, MB, our expert care team will help you to develop wellness plans that are catered specifically to your body type, lifestyle, and activity levels.
For those wondering whether now is a good time to move into a senior living residence, explore the many assisted, independent living, and memory care options available near you. Caregivers and seniors can also take a break, unplug, recharge, and rejuvenate with a respite stay.
Contact us or explore our blog to find out how you can look and feel your best for years to come!
All Seniors Care would like to thank Annette M., Laurie K., Anne S., Betty L., George S., Amber C., and Betty G. for participating in the creation of this blog! The fashionistas (listed in order of appearance) can be found making TikTok videos and living their best life at the St. Albert Retirement Residence in Alberta.
About the Author: Lori Kary is a Recreation Therapist who can’t imagine doing anything else! She is passionate about working with seniors. Her number one goal is to enhance their quality of life through innovative, meaningful programs. She believes that age is just a number and when it comes to fashion, dressing for yourself is the only thing that matters!